The Power Of Community

Living in harmony with our world !!!
I AM ALL I AM

The Power Of Community

Unread post by I AM ALL I AM » August 22nd, 2012, 4:44 am

I LOVE YOU

When the Soviet Union col­lapsed in 1990, Cuba’s econ­omy went into a tail­spin. With imports of oil cut by more than half – and food by 80 per­cent – peo­ple were des­per­ate. This film tells of the hard­ships and strug­gles as well as the com­mu­nity and cre­ativ­ity of the Cuban peo­ple dur­ing this dif­fi­cult time. Cubans share how they tran­si­tioned from a highly mech­a­nized, indus­trial agri­cul­tural sys­tem to one using organic meth­ods of farm­ing and local, urban gar­dens. It is an unusual look into the Cuban cul­ture dur­ing this eco­nomic cri­sis, which they call “The Spe­cial Period.” The film opens with a short his­tory of Peak Oil, a term for the time in our his­tory when world oil pro­duc­tion will reach its all-​time peak and begin to decline for­ever. Cuba, the only coun­try that has faced such a cri­sis – the mas­sive reduc­tion of fos­sil fuels – is an exam­ple of options and hope.

Web­site:
www​.powerof​com​mu​nity​.org/​c​m​/​i​n​d​e​x​.​p​h​p

:goodstuff :goodstuff :goodstuff

THANK YOU

WHEN PAIRED OPPOSITES DEFINE YOUR BELIEFS,
YOUR BELIEFS WILL IMPRISON YOU.

What is TRUTH ? . . . .THAT THE ONENESS IS ALL !!!
What is JOY ? . . . . . .ALL THAT THE ONENESS IS !!!
What is LOVE ? . . . . .THE ONENESS THAT IS ALL !!!
What is LIFE ? . . . . . ALL THAT IS THE ONENESS !!!
WHO AM I ? . . . . . . .THE ONENESS THAT ALL IS !!!

Oneofmany

Re: The Power Of Community

Unread post by Oneofmany » August 22nd, 2012, 1:23 pm

Peak oil might very well be a myth. It would be a very advantageous myth for the ELite that think they control things on this planet, for us to believe that oil is a finite resource, might very well be believable, and or true, however, by endorsing this belief, it would fly in the face of everyone who has studied that oil might actually be the lifeblood of the earth, and thus, renewable. (50/50 preposition)

As a consequence,we have two groups that believe a polar opposite, and where have we heard that before? the FACTS are that we will not be told about the relationships involved because those that have a vested interest, will always try to rob what they think is theirs from the people they think are beneath them.

This is the paradigm we live in, but surely it is a matter of coming to a common consensus. Science is just the NEXT religion, so why do we rely totally upon it? and conversely, why do we believe in what we know has been altered and outright transformed?

In documentaries and such that assume that the faithful will acquiesce, their mental faculties for the belief of what in the end can be described as a common consensus can be described as coming from one and the same place but the big difference between the two are this

One believes what they are told

and

the other's doesn't.

If this can be remedied, "and because i believe that people will believe in what they want" this will never be the case, but if enough numbers show their support for FAIR USE OF KNOWLEDGE, which i believe has not been possible in recorded history before this day, we can change the paradigms for not only better but to the standard that not just westerners should be living, but EVERYONE.....

I AM ALL I AM

Unread post by I AM ALL I AM » August 23rd, 2012, 1:03 pm

I LOVE YOU
G'day Oneofmany. :wave (TH)

I hear you on the peak oil issue mate. Personally, from what I've looked into, I believe that oil reserves do renew themselves, though how fast that happens is another proposition altogether.

Anyway, the documentary isn't really about peak oil. It was an artificial peak due to the collapse of the soviet union and sanctions from the USA. What is awesome is the manner in which the Cubans dealt with the scenario that they faced, moving back to community based productivity, etc. It's definitely an example of what can be achieved through working together and removing ties to oil based consumption (which includes fertilisers, etc - from memory, in the documentary, apparently 85% of food grown in Cuba now is organically grown ... and they are more productive than when they were using fertilisers ... go figure huh :D ).

THANK YOU

Oneofmany

Unread post by Oneofmany » August 24th, 2012, 9:07 am

G'day mate

It's good to hear that there are communities and even countries that have broken the back of their "dependence" or more aptly put, "addiction" to oil. Brazil is another shining example of how to significantly reduce the consumption of oil and the "dealer" relationship with Big Oil.
Where the Cars Run on Sugar Cane

SAO PAULO, Brazil, May 13, 2006
At 34,000 fuel stations in Brazil, drivers have the option of never touching a drop of oil.

Here, nearly half the cars on the road are called flex cars, and nearly all the new ones are sold with a special device that allows a regular engine to run on pure ethanol.

Flex cars use power that is not from shrinking deposits of underground oil, but grown on the Earth's surface from renewable sugar cane.

"Under Brazilian conditions today, ethanol competes with oil whenever oil is at or above $32 a barrel," said Plinio Nastari, an agricultural scientist who is one of Brazil's leading experts on energy independence.

Oil hasn't been at such a low level for awhile, and, as Nastari notes, it "probably will not come back to those levels."

Raw sugar cane is the key to Brazilian fuel efficiency. To get eight gallons of ethanol from sugar cane it takes a gallon of fossil fuel. That makes it both environmentally friendly and cost efficient.

In fact today, it costs a mere 90 cents per gallon to make ethanol from sugar cane. It would be a little more expensive, $1.25 per gallon, to make ethanol from U.S. corn -- compared to the gasoline wholesale price of $2.02.

With the average price of gasoline in the United States at $2.90 a gallon, according to the U.S. Department of Energy, the search is on in America for an alternative -- something quick, something environmentally friendly, and something that won't run out.
Nastari says that economic picture means America could be growing instead of drilling its fuel on a widespread basis very soon.
"This could happen very quickly," he said. "Within three to five years, ethanol could be a major source of fuel in the U.S."

Two things would have to happen for the United States to follow the Brazilian model.

First of all, Brazil's ubiquitous flex cars would have to be sold in the United States. American auto companies are already making vehicles in Brazil that can operate on pure ethanol, gasoline or any combination of the two. They cost no more than gasoline-engine cars, pollute less and are just as powerful.

"We have a model that works," said Rogelio Golfarb, president of the Brazilian Association of Vehicle Manufacturers. "It's possible. It can be adapted to different situations, different economies."

General Motors in the USA is already building E-85 cars and trucks that operate on 85 percent ethanol, but only 600 fuel stations around the country carry that blend.

That brings up the second issue. There would have to be a national will that convinces or pressures oil companies to distribute ethanol widely.

In Brazil the gas stations were forced to install ethanol pumps, and Nastari says big oil is getting the message even in America.

"We see a changing perspective from companies positioning themselves not as oil companies, but as energy companies," Nastari said. "They realize that oil is ending and they should diversify their product."

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/Business/stor ... DdCZWziMjg
While using Sugar Cane for fuel might not be the ideal solution, The Brazilians sure are making a fist of it. I will check out the vid and thanks for sharing it.

Here's more on the subject if you are interested. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_fuel_in_Brazil

I AM ALL I AM

Unread post by I AM ALL I AM » August 24th, 2012, 11:16 am

I LOVE YOU
G'day Oneofmany. :wave (TH)

Thanks for the share mate. (TU)

It's great to see the reliance upon oil being kicked. Anything that reduces the support of the oil industry is good.

I highly recommend the documentary. I actually downloaded it so that I could keep a copy on the external drive.

THANK YOU

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic